جمعه ۱۹ آذر ۱۳۹۵ تهران ۱۳:۲۷ - ۹ دسامبر ۲۰۱۶
The White House says it has uncovered no evidence so far to support assertions by former American captives that Iranian President-elect Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was involved in the 1979 siege of the U.S. Embassy in Tehran. Several Americans who were held have said they recognized Ahmadinejad as a ringleader. But two Iranians who were leading figures in the storming of the embassy said he did not take part.
U.S. President George W. Bush said on Thursday that he didn't have any information on the matter and he wants answers on Iranian President-elect Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's past.
Bush said he didn't know if Ahmadinejad was involved, but said he is confident the U.S. government will find out.
White House national security adviser Stephen Hadley said officials are analyzing photos and other information from the 444-day hostage drama.
In Iran, a former Iranian student leader told Radio Farda that Ahmadinejad was not involved in the hostage-taking of 52 Americans.
Mohammad Ali Seyyednejad said, in fact, Ahmadinejad, opposed the move.
"Mr. Ahmadinejad was a member of the initial Organization for the Consolidation of Unity's founding council, and later when the issue of the occupation of U.S. embassy was put on the agenda of the central council's meeting, Mr. Ahmadinejad and I were among the opponents of the embassy occupation." Ahmadinejad has not commented on the issue.