یکشنبه ۸ اسفند ۱۳۹۵ تهران ۱۱:۵۱
The executive director of the Iraqi court that will try Saddam Hussein said Iran has not formally submitted any complaints against the former Iraqi president. July 12, 2004 - Iran has not yet formally submitted its complaints, Salem Chalabi, head of the Iraqi tribunal tasked with trying former Iraqi strongman Saddam Hussein told the London Arabic daily al-Hayat.
However, Salem Chalabi, who will be visiting Iran within the next ten days, said that he has had two meetings so far with Iranian officials in Baghdad regarding this issue.
Iran had protested against the omission of 1980 invasion of Iran from the charges announced against Saddam.
Chalabi pointed out that at the time when the preliminary hearing was conducted, the dossier of the charges against Saddam was incomplete and no cases had been filed by Iran. However, he added, upon its submission, Iran’s formal complaint against Saddam Hussein can be included in the indictment.
Iran had claimed earlier that an investigative committee has finished collecting evidence and documents, and a case will be submitted to the Iraqi court.
Chalabi also said it is likely that non-Iraqis who also committed crimes in Iraq, including the Iraq-based anti-regime armed opposition group Mojahedin Khalq Organization (MKO), will be tried as well.
Chalabi did not give an exact date for the trial of Saddam Hussein and twelve of his high ranking officials, but he said that the trials will begin soon. He added, “As an Iraqi citizen, Saddam Hussein has the right to a fair trial and representation by defense attorneys.”
When asked if Saddam would be executed he stated that Saddam’s fate will be decided by the tribunal. He pointed out that the death penalty was suspended during the interim administration of Paul Bremer, but it was not abolished.
Chalabi denied accusations in the Arab media that he had been providing information on Saddam to New York-based Israeli lawyer Mark Zeil.