جمعه ۳۰ مهر ۱۳۹۵ تهران ۱۸:۴۲ - ۲۱ اکتبر ۲۰۱۶
A Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps’ commander said a group of eight British marines, arrested last month for trespassing in Iranian side of the Shatt-al-Arab waterway, had entered Iranian territorial waters deliberately, refuting British Defense Secretary’s charge that the IRGC navy personnel “forcibly escorted” the Royal marines into Iranian waters before arresting them. July 14, 2004 - “The British soldiers entered Iranian territory as part of a pre-determined plan,” Revolutionary Guards naval commander General Tangsiri said on Wednesday, referring to the six Royal Marines and two British sailors who were arrested on June 21 in Iranian territorial waters. Iran held the eight for four days.
In a letter to the British Parliament, Defense Secretary Geoff Hoon said the IRGC navy “forcibly escorted” British officers into Iranian waters. He also complained that the men’s boats and equipment have not been returned.
“The GPS navigational devices that the three British boats had and which were seized registered the position of the British soldiers at the time of their arrest,” Tangsiri said. “All of this information is contained in the GPS devices which are in our possession.”
“The insistence of the British to get the boats and navigational equipment back is explained by their wish that the information is not revealed,” General Tangsiri added.
However, speaking after a cabinet meeting on Wednesday, President Khatami said Iran will turn over the boats to Britain, adding that the British statement was due to a misunderstanding.