Human rights activist and a legal advisor to slain journalist Zahra Kazemi’s Montreal-based son, Abdolkarim Lahiji tells Radio Farda that now that the only defendant in her murder case has been acquitted, Canada has no option but to take Kazemi’s case to the international court of appeals, and seek another UN General Assembly resolution condemning Iran. July 25, 2004 - Instead of a real case, the prosecution gave the court a bogus case, Paris-based human rights advocate Abdolkarim Lahiji says, commenting on the acquittal yesterday of the only defendant in Canadian-Iranian photojournalist Zahra Kazemi’s death in custody case.
“All our efforts during the past year were focused on showing to the world that this file was bogus,” he tells Radio Farda’s broadcaster Fereydoun Zarnegar.
Zahra Kazemi family wanted everyone associated with the case investigated, including Tehran prosecutor Said Mortazavi, his deputy Arjmandi and others involved in the arrest and interrogation of Zahra Kazemi.
“This was an international case,” Lahiji adds. “When prosecutor Mortazavi visits Canadian ambassador twice, in order to convince him that his investigation had been fair, and when Mortazavi shows a copy of his indictment to the Canadian envoys before filing it or giving it to the defendant’s lawyer, when foreign minister Kamal Kharrazi meets with Canadian counterpart at the UN and promises that there will be a fair trial, it shows that the Islamic Republic admits that the case is political and international,” Lahiji says.
“Canada has now no other option but to take the case to the international court of justice , and international human rights activists will urge their governments to condemn Iran through the UN General Assembly, which last year approved a resolution condemning Iran’s human rights violations, which had been drafted by Canada,” Lahiji adds.