Summary of Iran Stories in Today's BroadcastsBehnam NateghiSaturday, June 05, 2004
<b>UAE Coast Guards Arrest Iranian Fishing Crew near Abu Musa</b>
• A 9-man Iranian fishing crew was abducted by the UAE coast guard in the waters of Persian Gulf island Abu Musa. The men, along with their fishing boat were taken to Dubai, conservative Persian news website <i>Baztab</i> reported quoting official sources. UAE claims ownership of Abu Musa, as well as that of the Lesser and Greater Tonbs, but Iran announced that the three islands were unalienable parts of Iranian territory.
<b>2000 Register for Suicide Missions</b>
• More than 2000 filled out forms distributed the new suicide missions' headquarters to volunteers for one of the three missions: killing British Indian-born writer Salman Rushdie, fighting the US forces in Iraq's Shiite holy cities or attacking Israeli forces in Palestinian lands. Unarmed Israelis can also be targets of the operation, since everyone in Israel, old or young, man, woman or child, is considered an occupier, according to the new advocacy group's head, who is an editor of the monthly publication of the plainclothes security force Ansar-e Hezbollah and a staff member of the Supreme Leader's newspaper <i>Jumhuri-ye Eslami</i>. He said US troops in Islamic lands are targets of our operations, he said.
<b>Legal Commentary: Length of Family Court Proceedings</b>
• The long and complicated family court proceedings, particularly in divorce cases, are due to general public's lack of familiarity with the laws. The long process forces women to leave their husbands before the finalization of their divorce cases, in violation of their marriage contracts, lawyer and women's rights activist <b>Mehrangiz Kar</b> say in a commentary on <b>Radio Farda</b>.
<b>Slain Journalist's Son Blasts Chrétien over Deal with Iran</b>
• In an open letter to former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, son of Canadian-Iranian photojournalist Zahra Kazemi condemned Chrétien's upcoming trip to Tehran as advisor for a Canadian oil company. Stephan Hachemi, whose mother lost her life last June after receiving head injuries during an interrogation in the Evin prison, accused Chrétien of placing financial gain over human rights. (Maryam Aghvami)
<b>Addiction Age Drops in Charmahal Province</b>
• Drug addiction age has dramatically dropped in the Charmahal province, social deputy of the provincial police chief Ali-Karam Hosseini said in an interview with official news agency IRNA. A majority of addicts are between 15 to 29 years of age, he said.
• Kashan police arrested three young adults for carrying more than 1 kilogram of heroine in water proof pouches inside their stomachs from Zahedan to Tehran, according to IRNA.
<b>Seismologist Denies Warning on Earthquake</b>
• Timing and magnitude of earthquakes cannot be scientifically predicted, Tehran-based seismologist <b>Bahram Akasheh</b> tells <b>Radio Farda</b>; rejecting rumors that scientists at the Tehran University's seismology center have predicted an imminent earthquake in Tehran. The press reports quote Sharif University's physics professor Rahimi Tabar as the source of the warning. “Tehran's continues to be in danger, but determining the date of such an earthquake is impossible. An earthquake centered in a Caspian village on May 28 shook buildings in northern Tehran and sent millions of fearful residents to the streets. (Jamshid Zand)
جرج بوش، رئيس جمهوري آمريكا در كنفرانس خبري مشترك خود با ژاك شيراك، رئيس جمهوري فرانسه در كاخ اليزه پاريس گفت دولت موقت عراقي با ادامه حضور نيروهاي ائتلاف در عراق موافقت دارد. ژاك شيراك گفت در مذاكره با رئيس جمهوري آمريكا به توافق رسيدند كه بعد از مدتي فرماندهي نيروهاي بين المللي در افغانستان به اروپائيان واگذار شود. دو رييس كشور اعلام كردند كه در مورد لزوم رعايت پيمان منع گسترش تسليحات هسته اي با يكديگر توافق دارند ولي كوشش نكردند كه اختلافاتي كه ميان آنها بر سر عراق وجود دارد، پنهان كنند. خبرنگاران حس كردند كه كنفرانس مثل مبارزه دو رقيب در يك صفحه شطرنج بود. مهم ترين مورد موافقت ميان آن دو، شركت آنها بود در مراسم فردا به مناسبت بزرگداشت شصتمين سالگرد روزي كه نيروهاي آمريكا با پياده شدن در نورماندي، فرانسه را از اشغال آلمان هيتلري نجات دادند.